Ramona Park Portage, Michigan map link to venue
Start time 8:30
Check in opens at 7:00
Several items to review in this final update.
1) Weather -
2) Part of the transition area is dirt. The city did some construction at the site and attempts to grow grass so far have failed. Bring an old towel (or two) for your transition spot. Always a good idea to do that no matter what.
3) We open check in at 7:00. Remember, we start the 10-
4) We will have check in set up with separate lines for last names beginning with A-
5) Chip timing. Your athletes will be supplied with a velcro strap and a timing chip. It goes on one ankle or the other. Nowhere else. It stays on them for the duration of the race and we gather those up after they finish.
6) We supply latex swim caps. If your athlete is latex intolerant -
7) Transition Setup. There are two rows of "rack lines" for the 6-
8) We will have seasoned triathletes from the local triathlon club, the Trikats, along with Team OAM Now in and around transition. Let them know if you have questions, or call or email me yet tonight.
I hope your young athlete is ready to have some fun tomorrow.
Final items to review in no particular order.
Check in opens at 7:00
There is no charge to enter the park Saturday morning.
Quick mention about bib numbers and body marking. Bib numbers will be provided. Athletes only need to have those on for the run course but no problem if they wear them for the bike too. They can be pinned on a shirt or top or you can use a number belt, or make one with elastic strapping. Body marking will be on one hand only. We'll have some extra marking pens if you want to add to the body marking.
We’ll have the master list of athletes and bib number assignments posted at the event tent next to transition. Please check that alpha list for your athlete bib number first before coming up to check in.
The transition area will be set up real simple and open. Adults may be in transition at all times but please be aware of everyone else and stay out of the way.
There will be rows for the 6-
The water quality at Long Lake is great. It has been all summer. I’ll post the latest test results on the board Saturday morning.
At 8:30 we will start the 12-
We use a linear swim course. 10-
Athletes may use flotation aids and snorkels if desired in the water. No flippers.
We have finisher ribbons for all athletes in addition to the trophies and medals for top age group finishes.
We have light refreshments for the kids post race, water, cookies, and big freezer pops.
After the race, consider hanging around the park for a while and take in the sights and activities of the health and fitness fair presented by the Portage Parks Board. A number of area merchants and groups will be there offering a little bit of everything from activities to learning programs.
Our event support crew includes members of the local multisport club, the Trikats, the Kalamazoo Masters Swimming group, Team OAM Now, and community supporters.
We will also have a Portage Public Safety unit on site assisting on the bike course. The swim course is monitored by certified lifeguards with the City of Portage Parks and Recreation Department. Pride Care also has a unit assigned to us for the duration of the race.
We are again using chip timing this year so results will include transition times.
Bib numbers must be visible on the front of the athlete when approaching and crossing the finish line. The bib number may be pinned to a shirt or jersey, or a number belt may be used. The bib is only required for the run portion of the race. Athletes do not need the bib number with them on the bike course. It is okay, but not necessary
Helmets are required while on the bike. We supply the swim cap. If your athlete has an issue with latex, bring please bring your own.
Pedal Bicycle will be on site for professional bike assistance -
It would be a good thing to review and practice transitions and exactly how your athlete will be switching from one swimming to biking, and then biking to running. The clock is running the entire time so consider the fewer moves, or actions involved, the faster the process goes. You can do as much or as little as you would like. But practicing the transitions will help things go smoothly.
Lots of you are driving in from some distance to be at the race. Please give yourself plenty of time to make the drive safely.
I look forward to seeing you Saturday morning for some great multisport fun. Don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything between now and then.
Short Update #1 email format only